February 10, 2011

Resuming

I promise I'll start writing here again. Basically, I'll think about whatever Lizzie liked hearing, and I'll write about that :)

But today, I would simply like to question why it is sometimes so hard to get starving kids to eat. They struggle with me so much! This week, a new boy, Silas, has been having a lot of trouble adjusting, and he's developed a very strong attachment to me. Georgina asked me to hold him down while she tried to basically force feed him some milk. He fought me tooth and nail - literally. And he now holds the dubious distinction of being the first to administer a bite that broke my skin.

He's not the only one, though. Sometimes these kids just won't eat. I can't understand it, because I know they don't eat well at home. When I'm helping them eat, and they're eating well, it's one of the most rewarding times for me. When they won't eat, I get so frustrated and sad for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment